Friday, January 14, 2011

Review: Somebody Everybody Listens To

Title:  Somebody Everybody Listens To
Author:  Suzanne Supplee


     From GoodReads, "Retta Lee Jones is blessed with a beautiful voice and has big dreams of leaving her tiny Tennessee hometown. With a beaten down car, a pocketful of hard-earned waitressing money, and stars in her eyes, Retta sets out to make it big in Nashville. But the road to success isn't a smooth one in a town filled with dreamers, and Retta begins to have doubts: can she make her mark while staying true to herself?"


     I love books that feature characters with real problems, but don't let those problems stand in the way of getting what they dream about.  This is a novel that is both inspiring and realistic.  Retta, the main character, is a girl set on getting what she dreams about... a music career.  The book is written in her perspective and it shows that sometimes you have to go through a lot of stuff in your life before you are even able to go after what you want.  Retta's voice is so strong in this book, that it made me feel as if I were on this journey with her and her hard-knocks left me reeling with the frustration that she probably felt.  
     I absolutely loved Supplee's first novel, Artichoke's Heart, and I think this book, her second, will not disappoint either.  I also saw that she has a new book out called Mad Love, which looks great too.  Supplee definitely has a great start for what, I hope, is a long and prosperous writing career.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books We Love!