Sunday, January 9, 2011

Review: Matched

Title:  Matched
Author:  Ally Condie


     From GoodReads, "Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.


The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow."


     I wasn't quite sure whether I wanted to read this book or not.  I liked the cover, but couldn't figure out how it related to the story.  I also knew that this novel was science fiction/fantasy which isn't my favorite genre so I was putting reading it off.  It wasn't until I saw that it was on the New York Times Bestseller list that I decided to take the plunge and read it and I'm so glad that I did.
     This novel is rich in so many ways... the first of which is the richness of the writing of Ally Condie.  This book is so beautifully written, I felt that it was a privilege to read each word.  I could tell that Ally Condie took her writing personally and chose each word with the greatest of concern.
     The novel takes place in the future where the Society controls everything... what you eat, who you marry, and even when you die.  This novel is reminiscent of many novels that I have previously read, but it brings a whole new spin on dystopian society.
     I loved the characters in the novel.  Cassia, the teenage girl whose life changes after she is Matched with her best friend and another boy.  Yes, that's right.  She has two matches, but one of those is a mistake.  Both of her matches, Xander and Ky, are also remarkable characters and it was easy to see how Cassia could love them both.
     Watching Cassia grow, develop, and most of all think in this novel is what makes it so wonderful.  I love how invested the reader gets with Cassia and finding out what she will do.  It is also good to see that each character has good and bad in them and that sometimes they make the right decisions and sometimes they make the wrong ones, but through it all they are human.  This is an amazing and beautiful read which is also powerful and at times, forbidden.  You will not be disappointed if you begin this book, just don't wait as long as I did.
    

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I've got this waiting for me to read, it sounds like a good book.

    I've also left something for you at my blog http://justifiedlunacy.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Books We Love!