Thursday, January 27, 2011

Review: Paranormalcy

Title:  Paranormalcy
Author:  Kiersten White


     From GoodReads, "Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.
But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.
So much for normal."

     I keep telling myself that I am going to go away from science fiction/fantasy novels and then great books, like this one, just keep being written.  What I really liked about this book was that it is unlike any book I have ever read before.  It has a little bit of everything in it wrapped up in a super-cool package of sugary sweetness.

     I loved the main character of Evie!  She is sarcastic, unapologetic, and brash... but has a sensitive side to her personality that she only shows to those that are really close to her.  This book plucks Evie, who is a typical teenage girl (besides the fact that she lives with mermaids, werewolves, and vampires), and places her in an environment where she has the power to make life-changing decisions (for said mermaids, werewolves, and vampires.)  I has the just the right amount of balance between genres that it will appeal to a lot of different types of readers.

     The book has a lot of great side characters too including her best friend Lish (who just happens to be a mermaid), her love interest, Lend (whose cloak of invisibility both confuses and entices Evie), and a myriad of other characters too unique to justify in a quick sentence.

     The incredible part of the book was how human Evie was in a world where very few humans existed.  Parts of her personality reminded me Lara Croft's kick-ass attitude and parts reminded me of the Alicia Silverstone character, Cher, in Clueless in her dimwittedness.  I also loved her reactions when she visited normal high school with Lend.  The whole book was just amusing.

     As a librarian, I appreciated the fact that the romance was subtle and the swearing was censored, which makes it easy for me to recommend this book to teens, middle schoolers and even some of my upper elementary students.  Kuddos to author Kiersten White for an amazing debut!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books We Love!