Monday, January 31, 2011

Review: The Running Dream

Title:  The Running Dream
Author:  Wendelin Van Draanen


     From GoodReads, "Jessica thinks her life is over when she loses a leg in a car accident. She's not comforted by the news that she'll be able to walk with the help of a prosthetic leg. Who cares about walking when you live to run?
As she struggles to cope with crutches and a first cyborg-like prosthetic, Jessica feels oddly both in the spotlight and invisible. People who don't know what to say, act like she's not there. Which she could handle better if she weren't now keenly aware that she'd done the same thing herself to a girl with CP named Rosa. A girl who is going to tutor her through all the math she's missed. A girl who sees right into the heart of her.
With the support of family, friends, a coach, and her track teammates, Jessica may actually be able to run again. But that's not enough for her now. She doesn't just want to cross finish lines herself—she wants to take Rosa with her."

     If I had to describe The Running Dream in one word I would say AMAZING!  I am not even a runner but I am thinking I am missing out on something after I read this story.  I also think this story could be related to anything you have lost that made up your total existence.  It’s a story about something that you believe in with all your heart, put your 100% into being the best at and can’t image never doing ever again.  But it is also a story about overcoming a tragedy, finding yourself again, friendship, believing in dreams and never giving up.  This story felt like a journal traveling through Jessica Carlisle's endeavor to overcome the impossible.   I can’t tell you enough how much I enjoyed this book.  I highly recommend it! 
 

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon this and just wanted to say thank you for the lovely review. When you pour so much into something as I did with The Running Dream, it's nice to see it resonate with others. Wishing you tail winds, Wendelin

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounded like it had a great message! Would it be appropriate for upper elementary girls?

    ReplyDelete

Books We Love!