Thursday, January 13, 2011

Review: I Am Number Four

Title:  I Am Number Four
Author:  Pittacus Lore


     From GoodReads, "In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now. 

The Nine had to separate and go into hiding. The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia, Number Two in England, and Number Three in Kenya. All of them were killed. John Smith, of Paradise, Ohio, is Number Four. He knows that he is next. 

I AM NUMBER FOUR is the thrilling launch of a series about an exceptional group of teens as they struggle to outrun their past, discover their future—and live a normal life on Earth. 

I AM NUMBER FOUR. 
I AM NEXT."

     About two months ago, my son told me about this book that he was reading.  He's a reader, but normally doesn't say anything about a book unless it is a great one or something really catches his interest about it.  I was really reluctant to read it because, once again, it was sci-fy and I really didn't like the cover.  (I know... shame on me for judging a book by its cover, but it is a horrible cover.  Not the one that is here, but the red, orange and yellow one... I digress).  During the holiday break, my son said something that got my attention, he said, "This book is better than Twilight and almost as good as The Humger Games."  I decided that I needed to check it out and so I did. 
     I must say that the book had me from the opening sequence.  Since finishing the book, I have gone online and checked out many reviews and yes, most of them were not as favorable as mine is going to be, and they do say that there is a lot of action, but is action really such a bad thing?  I think not.  This is the kind of book that is going to get some of those teens out there that don't like to read all that much to actually pick up a book and I personally think that is a good thing.  
     This review has good news and bad news though.  I loved the story.  I thought it was a unique premise that hasn't been used before and the book, although violent at times, is worth reading.  I loved the main character, Number 4 (he also has a whole bunch of aliases), he is a believable character in a book where you have to suspend your beliefs every now and then.  I'm not as found of the main female character, Sarah, in the book though because she isn't as strong of a character as I would have liked her to be.  If my boyfriend told me that he was an alien from another planet, I'm not sure I would be quite as understanding as she was.    My favorite character was Sam, Number 4's best friend.  I loved that he was kind of a nerd, but still able to go for what he believed in.  Another character I really liked was Bernie Kosar, Number 4's dog, not the former football player.  All of this is good news.
     The bad news... I guess I think of it as bad news.  I have been frantically searching for the "real" author of the book because it says it is written by Pittacus Lore, but reading the book tells me that Pittacus Lore is actually one of the elders of the planet that Number 4 is from... so I really wanted to know who wrote this book.  Actually the book is co-authored by Jobie Hughes and James Frey.  I had never heard of Jobie Hughes, but James Frey is a different story.  James Frey is the author of A Million Little Pieces and is infamous for admitting to Oprah Winfrey and the world no less, that his book, which was supposed to be a true story about addiction, actually was fiction in multiple places.  (No wonder it's difficult to figure out who wrote it.)  Had I known before reading the book that it was written by Mr. Frey, I might not have read it, so kuddos to him or whoever thought up the fact to keep his identity as secret as possible.  Also, another thing that really surprised me (not exactly in a good way) is the fact that this series is planned to have six books.  Yes, you read that right six!  I can understand two or three, but six?!  Anyway... I guess time will tell how long I decide to hang in there.  For now, there is a movie based on the book coming out in February and the second title will be releasing later this year.  
     Now that you know the good/bad news, I guess you can decide for yourself whether you want to begin reading or not!
  

1 comment:

  1. I've seen the movie trailer and it's making the story look fantastic. I might have to check out the book before it's released. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Books We Love!