Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Review: Artichoke's Heart

Title:  Artichoke's Heart
Author:  Suzanne Supplee


From GoodReads, "Rosemary Goode is smart and funny and loyal and the best eyebrow waxer in Spring Hill, Tennessee. But only one thing seems to matter to anyone, including Rosemary: her weight. And when your mom runs the most successful (and gossipy) beauty shop in town, it can be hard to keep a low profile. Rosemary resolves to lose the weight, but her journey turns out to be about everything but the scale. Her life-changing, waist-shrinking year is captured with brutal honesty and humor, topped with an extralarge helping of Southern charm. A truly uncommon novel about an increasingly common problem."


I originally purchased this book because it is nominated for The Nebraska Golden Sower award in the Young Adult category.  I wasn't planning on reading it until I saw the cover (yummy!) and read the description.  Let me just say that I am so glad that I did.  Being a chunky teenager myself, I could totally relate to the main character, Rosemary Goode, and her problems.  I even have to admit that her mom and mine might have been sisters in a previous life.  Even though the story is about an overweight teen and her struggles, a lot of people can identify with her because it isn't just about her weight. Teenagers who have nagging relatives can definitely identify with Rosemary. Rosemary's weight is just a symptom of larger family problems.  I spent most of the book rooting for Rosemary and cursing under my breath at her mother and her Aunt Mary.  Although I really liked the character of Rosemary in this novel, I liked Kyle even better.  Kyle is a boy that is interested in Rosemary despite what the number on the scale reads.  This book will make you laugh, might even make you cry, but you finish it hopefully feeling a little better about yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Books We Love!