Sunday, March 7, 2010

Review: Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood


Title: Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood
Author: Eileen Cook


From GoodReads, "Popularity is the best revenge. 

In the final weeks of eighth grade, Lauren Wood made a choice. She betrayed her best friend, Helen, in a manner so publicly humiliating that Helen had to move to a new town just to save face. Ditching Helen was worth it, though, because Lauren started high school as one of the It Girls--and now, at the start of her senior year, she's the cheerleading captain, the quarterback's girlfriend, and the undisputed queen bee. Lauren has everything she's ever wanted, and she has forgotten all about her ex-best friend.

But Helen could never forget Lauren. After three years of obsessing, she's moving back to her old town. She has a new name and a new look, but she hasn't dropped her old grudges. She has a detailed plan to bring down her former BFF by taking away everything that's ever been important to Lauren—starting with her boyfriend.

Watch out, Lauren Wood. Things are about to get bitchy."

The minute I began reading Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood, I knew that I would like it.  In fact, I liked a lot of things about this book including the adorably evil cover, the front flap description, and the acknowledgments of the author. (I especially liked how she heart-fully thanked her readers.) I found myself anxious to tell people all about the book (which I normally don't do as I don't like to spoil it for others) even before I was finished reading it.  

If you've ever wished you could get even with those bad girls that tormented you in elementary or junior high school (middle school nowadays), this is the book for you.  I love the character of Helen and her alter ego, Claire.  Helen is that unpopular girl who doesn't necessarily want popularity as much as she wants friendship, she just happens to choose friends would rather be popular.  Lauren, the mean girl in Helen's life, is easy to hate.  She doesn't have any redeeming qualities, but once you meet her mother, you start to get a clear picture of why Lauren is the way she is.  I also really liked the supporting characters in the book: Brenda and Christopher.  I thought that Brenda was the type of friend that Helen was looking for all along that kept eluding her and Christopher was just a sweet guy.  

The plot moved along at a really quick pace and I liked the style of writing that Eileen Cook used.  She is the type of writer that I really enjoy because I can tell that she has a wicked sense of humor and probably laughed out loud and some of the decisions Helen made in the book, the same way I did.  Reading this book made me want to read more books by Cook.  Read this book, you won't regret it!

1 comment:

  1. This book looks like a good book and i hope i can find it!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Books We Love!