Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Review: The Ghost and the Goth

Title: The Ghost and the Goth
Author: Stacey Kade


From GoodReads, "After a close encounter with the front end of a school bus, Alona Dare goes from Homecoming Queen to Queen of the Dead. Now she’s stuck here in spirit form with no sign of the big, bright light coming to take her away. To make matters worse, the only person who might be able to help her is Will Killian, a total loser/outcast type who hates the social elite. He alone can see and hear her, but he wants nothing to do with the former mean girl of Groundsboro High. 

Can they get over their mutual distrust—and this weird attraction between them—to work together before Alona vanishes for good and Will is locked up for seeing things that don’t exist?"


     Thanks to an ARC, I got a chance to read this book way early (the official release date is July 6, 2010) and I am so glad that I did!  I am not normally a fan of ghost stories.  I've just began trying to branch out of my favorite genres into the science fiction/fantasy realm.  While this book technically fits into both of these genres, it is so much more!  I can truly say that this book has something for everyone.  I liked the fact that although it was a story about a young man that could communicate with ghosts, there was still an aspect of mystery, a touch of romance, and a unique story line.  
     When I first began reading the novel, I wasn't a fan of Alona Dare, the cheerleader who finds herself half way between the living and the dead.  It's really difficult to like a character that most of the other characters in the book dislike.  As the novel progresses, you realize that there is more than meets the eye and that Alona has a lot of depth to her character.  In fact, all of the characters in this book have great depth.  
     I immediately liked Will Killian, the goth who can communicate with the dead, even though he really doesn't want to.  Once again, we find out that there are a lot of elements at play in making Will who he is.  I am trying very hard to praise this book without giving away to many plot twists and turns.  It was the unpredictability of the book that made it most enjoyable for me to read.  I take that back, it's the complexity of the characters. No, it's the author's writing style.  Okay, it's all of the above!  This is a book that you won't regret reading.  I'm just sorry that you have to wait until July.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books We Love!