Sunday, April 18, 2010

Review: The Body Finder

Title: The Body Finder
Author: Kimberly Derting


From GoodReads, "A serial killer on the loose. A girl with a morbid ability. And the boy who would never let anything happen to her. 

Violet Ambrose can find the dead. Or at least, those who have been murdered. She can sense the echoes they leave behind... and the imprints they leave on their killers. As if that weren't enough to deal with during junior year, she also has a sudden, inexplicable, and consuming crush on her best friend since childhood, Jay Heaton.

Now a serial killer has begun terrorizing Violet's small town... and she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him." 

     This book has it all... mystery, romance, heart-racing action, and a unique paranormal twist.  Add in wonderfully, creative writing from debut author, Kimberly Derting, and you've got one heck of a good book!  

     Violet, the main character, was a unique character...  not just because she has the gift (if that's what you want to call it) of finding the dead, but also because she was just a regular teen just trying to live her own life.  I thought that it was interesting that in the midst of dealing with a serial killer, she still managed to try and have a normal life.  Jay, Violet's friend since childhood, was also a unique character.  I don't know too many teen boys that would take care of Violet with the compassion and care that Jay did.  Jay will be sure to have many female fans, as he has all the characteristics that women, both young and old alike, are looking for in a guy. (Similar to Edward, but without the stalker quality!) I liked these two characters because they had a believability that many lead characters are lacking.  I also liked that they knew each other so well.  It was fun to watch their relationship grow throughout the novel.

     This story got my attention from the very first sentence of the book and kept it all the way through.  I also appreciated that it wasn't predictable in the way it could easily have been.  About half way through the book, what I thought would happen in the end happened and it left me wondering what I missed and from there the story unfolded even more.  Even though the ending had an ending, this book lends itself well to a sequel because of Violet's unique ability and I, for one, would love to hear more from Violet and Jay.  All in all, I would highly recommend this book, you won't regret it!

     On a side note: I am so glad that I joined the Story Siren's 2010 Debut Author Challenge because many of the books that I have loved and reviewed on this blog lately came because of this challenge.  There is still time to join so you might want to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books We Love!