Friday, February 19, 2010

Review: The ABCs of Kissing Boys

Title: The ABC's of Kissing Boys
Author: Tina Ferraro

From GoodReads, "Parker Stanhope has played soccer practically since she could walk. And now that she’s a high school junior, everything she’s worked for is finally coming together. She’s paid her dues on the field, and as an upperclassman, she’s a shoo-in for the varsity team. But that’s not what happens.

This year, Coach Hartley moved up every JV player but two—and one of those two was Parker. Now, she’s stuck with the freshmen, her friends are cutting her loose, and her love of the game is seriously beginning to fail. But Parker is determined to get her life back. She has to get on the varsity team, and she has the perfect plan. All she needs now is the right kind of coach. A kissing coach."

I loved, loved, loved everything about this book! From the cover, to the font, to the plot, to the way it made me feel while reading it... comforted, like a warm, fuzzy blanket on a cold day. This novel, although endearing and entertaining, still managed to pull off a deeper message without standing on a soapbox. Parker has to learn how to deal with a bad situation, which is made even worse by her former friends. Ferraro is an expert storyteller... weaving together the pressures of Parker's 'mean girl' friends with the struggle of her own independence.

I really liked how Parker's revenge plan, turned out to be something completely different. (I'm being careful so I don't give away too much of the plot.) While reading this novel, I became aware of the fact that I don't know as much about kissing as I thought I did. I guess I'll have to try out some of the new ones suggested in the novel. (Oh, well. I can call it in-depth research!)



1 comment:

  1. Hello and thank you so much for reviewing my book, and the marvelous things you said about it! :) Nothing warms ME like a warm fuzzy blanket like librarians and teachers who "get behind" my books!

    It might interest you to know that when asked about the theme of this book, I always admit that it's not really about kissing or soccer, as if might seem, but about the power of friendship. Who will be there for you when the chips are down. And I felt like Parker learned some powerful lessons, including that looks can be deceiving even in friendships.

    But I have to add that I had a grand time researching the kisses, and am so grateful to my high school soccer experts who kept me real on the field there.

    Back to the kisses, on my blog this past Monday, (www.yawriters.blogspot.com) I admitted that I never actually tried out the Steam Kiss, and asked readers to try and comment. And I am giving away a signed copy to one commenter. It's probably too late to enter the contest, but readers of The ABC's of Kissing Boys might be interested in the real-life results.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Books We Love!