Monday, October 4, 2010

Review: Cold Hands, Warm Heart

Title:  Cold Hands, Warm Heart
Author:  Jill Wolfson


     From GoodReads, "Dani was born with her heart on the wrong side of her body. In her fifteen years of life, she’s had more doctor’s appointments, X-rays, and tests, and eaten more green hospital Jell-O than she cares to think about. Fourteen-year-old Amanda is a competitive gymnast, her body a small package of sleek muscles, in perfect health. The two girls don’t know each other, don’t go to the same school, don’t have any friends in common. But their lives are about to collide."


     This novel did something that a lot of novels do not, it made me act.  Many good novels make you ponder and think of something in a different light and this novel did this as well for me, but it also made me act... by checking the organ donation box when renewing my driver's license.  I will never think of organ donation quite the same way after reading this book.  This is the amazing story of a fourteen-year-old girl who is seriously injured in a gymnastics accident.  Her family decides to donate her organs and the story continues through the eyes of the recipients of said organs and also the story of the gymnasts older brother.  This novel could have easily switched to something more sugary, but the author, Wolfson, stayed true to the characters of the book and made them heart-wrenchingly believable.  I was truly inspired reading this book and I think many others will be too.  I was happy to see that this novel is nominated for the 2012 Nebraska Golden Sower award in the Young Adult category and I am eager to get it in the hands of many readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books We Love!